[Healeys] It's not the starter

john harper ah100tech at gmail.com
Mon May 23 03:12:30 MDT 2022

Patrick

The first test is to switch on the headlight. If they go partially out when
you get the 'click' then the starter is receiving power. Then you can look
for a jammed starter or an engine that will not turn. Occasionally starters
will jam and that is why there is a square end under a pull-off cover that
can be turned to release the jam. If it is a bad connection but not an open
circuit then leave the 'click' on for a while you can then feel all the
connections for bad contacts. They might be hot so be careful.  Another
check is, does the starter move and engages but does not turn the engine.
This is hard to tell because it is hard to see. However, you can turn the
starter back to make sure it is not engaged so that when you 'click' you
will see the starter rotate.

If the lights don't change then it might be a fault in the starter where
the brushes have worn down too much. All this assumes that the battery is
good and fully charged.