[Healeys] Coolant bypass port in the head - 6-cyl

warthodson at aol.com warthodson at aol.com
Tue Mar 29 09:25:57 MDT 2022

I can give you a partial answer. The bypass port should be open when the engine coolant is cold & closed when it is hot. The idea is that when the coolant is cool it warms up faster if some of it bypasses the radiator & is returned directly to the head to get heated up. When the coolant is hot all the coolant should go to the radiator, so the bypass is blocked. Racing cars sometimes remote the T'stat & insert a blank off sleeve. Removing the T'stat improves flow by removing any restriction to the flow & the blanking sleeve assures that no coolant can bypass the radiator.Gary Hodson