[Healeys] Fried OD Solenoid

simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com
Fri Mar 25 08:49:34 MDT 2022

Since we’re on the OD topic
.

I took my MkII BT7 out the other day, first time for ages, 8 weeks+/-.

Anyhow, the OD didn’t work. I’d been to a carpet trimmer and left my tunnel
cover with him so access was easy

The solenoid was very hot
too hot to touch which made me suspicious. Anyhow,
I did my OD electrical click-test and it failed at the first hurdle. So, I
took the solenoid out and
well, look at the picture.

The plastic/nylon cover to the points and wiring was virtually welded in
place. And the inside is a complete mess.

So, the OD was rebuilt about 50 miles ago by OD Spares and I’m happy with
the wiring. My question is this
is there a frequent or a probable cause to
these fry ups?? These things check out at about £50:00 so I don’t want to be
chucking them in at regular intervals. Anything in particular that I should
look out for???

Thanks,

Simon