[Healeys] Oil grade for 100

gradea1 at charter.net gradea1 at charter.net
Mon Mar 21 11:08:25 MDT 2022

AGREE-STOCK UP ON OIL! I'M SET FOR A FEW YEARS WITH THE 20-50 BUT THE
STORE I PURCHASED IT FROM WAS HAVING A CLOSEOUT SALE. BEST CLUE TO
ZINC RICH OILS IS THE SAE LABEL ON THE BOTTLE. SN=NO ZINC. (not
literally) But oils with SL or lower ratings do contain zinc...the
lower the SAE series the more the zinc.
If you find some old oil, its good. Modern day zinc oils come from
Moss or Joe Gibbs costing $10/qt. or more Early VR-1 had lots of zinc
but later ones have reduced the content. Someone on the list has a
chart of all this with values-discussed many times over the years.
It would be good to hear back from those folks using synthetics to see
what leak issues they have/or not- as Gary notes. I use Permatex,
Hylomar, etc. and still see some "seepage", especially when a car sits
out the pandemic. Hank

Healeys"