[Healeys] Oil grade for 100 Le Mans

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Mar 21 10:04:44 MDT 2022

Oh boy! Another oil thread!

Now that synthetic is no more expensive than mineral oil, in some cases
cheaper:

https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-5w-30-full-synthetic-motor-oil-5-quart%2c-4-pack.product.100690432.html

... I use it in my more modern cars and newer lawn/farm appliances. The
tractors and the '46 Chevy truck get mineral 10W-40, just because
full-syn 10W-40 isn't common and, well, that's what my dad always put in
them. However, until /proven/ otherwise I think flat-tappet engines need
ZDDP (although some claim syns work as good or better to protect cam
lobes--I'm not convinced). From what I've seen and read, ZDDP is
verboten in lower-vis oils, because they're what's spec'd in newer cars
with catalytic converters. Only 20W-50 is claimed to have 'sufficient
ZDDP for flat-tappet engines;' Valvoline VR-1 even says it on the label.
A few years ago. VR-1 suddenly disappeared from parts store shelves with
no explanation given, then reappeared a couple years later. I'm no
longer able to buy VR-1 online, but a local Autozone still has some on
the shelf so I stocked up. I think, with 9 filters and enough oil for 9
changes with top-ups I've got a near-lifetime supply. My guess is
California will ban it outright at some point and, my rule-of-thumb is:
"If California banned/is banning it it must be good" (see: 3M adhesive
remover, Floway, mineral spirits, effective engine cleaners/degreasers,
etc.).

Bob