[Healeys] 6cyl Exhaust manifold to pipe gasket Q

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Mar 4 09:48:02 MST 2022

It's been years since I've worked/struggled with getting an effective
and durable seal at this joint--on one road trip I would reach under my
BJ8 with a couple socket extensions every morning and tighten the nuts
before startup--but based on 'science' alone I reasoned the silver metal
(aluminum, steel?, ???) side should go against the manifold. My
reasoning was that copper is an excellent heat conductor so the thin,
perforated side with the insulator under it should go to the hot side. I
remember the older, NOS gaskets with copper on both sides appeared to
have asbestos as the insulator which, of course, works best but has been
persona-non-grata for decades. Also, the brass nuts never worked well
for me, but they seem to be OK on the manifold side.