[Healeys] How to restore a BJ8 steering wheel

rfbegani at gmail.com rfbegani at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 10:36:58 MDT 2022

Hi Roland:

Now that my Healey is on the road again, I have been working on the interior of the car which is original and in great condition after applying polishing creams to the vinyl and other surfaces.  My steering wheel is in good condition except where wheel meets the wire.  Most of the Bakelite?? Or what ever the material is has broken off the wires.  I purchased a two-component epoxy sculpting clay in black.  I have used it before to reconstruct, seal openings etc.  Once the two components are mixed you can mold the clay does not get hard immediately.  I believe I can fill in the in the voids and sculp the material to almost match the original mold.  While the material should match the wheel, or I will rub in Jet black leather dye to obtain luster.

So, what did you use in your restoration?  The horn and housing on my wheel are in good condition and the Jet-black leather dye improved the surfaces so I could polish and buff to a nice luster.  My horn and trafficator work well and looks great. Am not looking for concours perfection.

Bob Begani

BJ8 67