[Healeys] Alternator not charging.

simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com
Sun Jul 24 06:09:29 MDT 2022

Yes, alternator. Negative earth.

So, it's apparently not charging. I get the same reading across the battery
when the engine is running as when it's switched off.

I looked in an old book of mine, written about the time our 3000s were
built, and it suggested that a possible cause for no charge reaching the
battery was that the earth strap was not connected or had degraded to
nothing.

Well, my strap is good and strong but, you may recall, that I had to remove
and replace my gearbox.God knows how often. (Overdrive and dud replacement
clutch kit) Did I replace the strap on the last occasion? I think so...But.

Well, it occurred to me that, if I ran a stout wire from the alternator body
to the battery's negative terminal, then that would act instead of the earth
strap.

I did that. Still no charge.

It's my belief that running that wire along was an adequate test of
earthing. Do you guys agree??

Plainly, I could get the car up on ramps again and check underneath but I
think that would be fruitless as well as tiresome and dirty....

Thanks,

Simon