[Healeys] 100-6 ignition

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Jul 22 11:38:27 MDT 2022

"No, I don't want to use a Pertronix Igniter."

Why not? Car starts/runs better, you'll find something better to do than
replace points--which start deteriorating on the first crank--and
(suspect) condensers every few thousand miles, and the wiring changes
are almost imperceptible. I've had as many as four cars--currently two
Healeys--running Ignitors with nary an issue.

I'm not critiquing here--I'm a firm believer in "It's your car, do what
you want with it"--but lots of owners seem to lust for a Toyota gearbox,
which definitely changes the 'Healey Experience,' so why not something
that overall only makes the experience more pleasant (or less of a
hassle, if you prefer)?

My Moss catalog only shows 'copper stranded, black' or 'Lucas
Bumblebee'--as offerings for secondary wire. I've never seen steel
stranded wires, but suppressor wires are, I believe, usually fine steel
wound 'round a carbon core (these are problematic if used with
original-style distributor caps, which 'spear' the cable)*.  Steel is a
reasonably good conductor--it's the earth/ground connection to your
battery through the chassis--but not used AFAIK for secondary wires.
Copper is, of course, an excellent conductor, but should be used with
some impedance**, either in the plugs or their caps. You'll still get
plenty of RFI; I used to tune my AM radio between stations and listen to
the plugs fire and the fuel pump with points activate.

* Wire-wound suppressor wires usually spec about 15 KOhms per foot.

** Spark is created by voltage, not current; static electricity, by
definition, is very low current (see: lightning). Without some impedance
you'll go through plugs in short order.

bs