[Healeys] Head Gasket

gradea1 at charter.net gradea1 at charter.net
Wed Feb 23 13:00:48 MST 2022

HAS ANYONE EVER STUCK A MAGNET TO A PAYEN COPPER gasket? I did-its a
steel gasket with a copper coating. There is a real engineering issue
with the 2660cc block and I am not sure why it is configured as it is.
There may have been a study done on the engine's water flow way back
then and some modifications made for cooling. It does not add up or
make sense, however.
So, look at this head and the gasket and then the block. Why are the
water passages reduced on the jackets shown? Then too, why is there no
passage in one area marked that is actually open for water on the head
AND gasket? This is one "hot spot" found between 2-3 cylinders when
read with a heat gun.
I was tempted to drill out the opening in the block before
re-assembling my head, but thought better of it. I would never
question engineering technology of BMC. Modern day replacements have
that same area blocked. Never-the-less, can anyone explain this
concept to me; the reason for this and a 4lb. radiator cap. This
engine needs water, lots of it to keep it cool. Why restrict it? Then
too, aluminum has its own set of issues that may/may not improve the
cooling capacity of some old, thick cast iron block. Maybe throwing
money at it has an effect. Hank