[Healeys] Head Gasket Woes Part Three

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed Feb 23 09:52:02 MST 2022

Steven,

Sounds to me like you did everything 'right.' Do you recall the brand of
gasket you used? Payen used to be the 'go-to' and I think might have
been OEM equipment, but I heard--Disclaimer: hearsay--they, like a lot
of other companies, moved their manufacturing overseas at some point,
and quality suffered. I had my BJ8's engine overhauled a few years ago
and, like you, had a well-known speed shop do the rebuild, but the
otherwise excellent mechanic goofed: He installed points so he could
static time the engine and get it to fire quickly on the test stand, but
he apparently didn't think to re-time the distributor when he
re-installed the Pertronix Ignitor. When I got the engine back in the
car and started it up it barely ran and backfired like crazy. Turns out
it was running about 20deg retarded.

Fortunately, I had a Payen gasket set I'd bought decades ago and I
supplied it to the mechanic; no issues with (my car's) head in over 6K
miles.

Bob