[Healeys] Engine

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Sat Feb 12 04:19:44 MST 2022

The Phase 1 BJ8s (up to engine 29K/H278) had the dipstick tube behind the engine mount, like the BJ7s, and used the shorter dipstick.  After engine /H278, BJ8s had the dipstick tube in front of the engine mount and higher on the block, requiring a longer dipstick.  The mechanical tach drive says the engine is BJ7 or earlier.  BJ8 tachs were electrical.

The engine serial tag is a factory original tag.  However, the drive rivets attaching the serial tag to the engine are flattened on top, likely from being driven in with a hammer.  To me, this indicates the tag has been removed at some point and is no longer a factory installation.  Once it is has been removed, there is no way to identify the tag as original to that engine.  It may or may not be.

Steve Byers

BJ8 Registry

AHCA Delegate at Large

Havelock, NC  USA