[Healeys] Distributor guy

Michael Oritt michael.oritt at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 20:29:52 MDT 2022

I've had the pleasure of replacing a set of contact points alongside the
road in the dark.  If you don't get the stack of insulating washers and
parts correct you are going nowhere and it's awfully easy to drop one of
the bits down and under the car--with the same result.

I put a Mallory Unilite distributor/ignition system in my Healey about
twenty years ago with absolutely no issue other than a cracked external
ballast resistor and about three years ago I replaced the module simply
because I did not want to push my luck any further.  On long trips I carry
a spare distributor with drive dog attached, allowing for quick and easy
replacement and no need to worry about timing so long as I pay careful
attention to the positions of the rotor and distributor body when switching
things out.

On my race cars I use Pertronix modules simply because the failure mode is
almost always total which makes diagnosis much easier whereas with points
there is one more component (the condenser) plus very often when points
ignitions go bad the problem is often partial and/or intermittent,
resulting in more time lost trying to diagnose the problem with more
sessions lost due to having more possibilities to eliminate.

Best--Michael Oritt