[Healeys] Distributor guy

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Aug 29 09:24:37 MDT 2022

After almost 100K trouble-free miles on a Pertronix in my BJ8 I bought
another--'just because'--mainly so I could use the first one as a spare.
Both are wired with spade terminals so as to be easily replaced; though
I would have to cut some shrink-wrap I used to protect the connections*.
The only downside is apparently Pertronix made some changes, probably to
the base plate, and the new one required re-timing. Not ideal for a
roadside swap, but you can time reasonably well with 'time if for best
idle' and 'back-it-off-until-it-quits-pinging' techniques (and the small
adjustments you can make with the 'A-D' knob). You'll need a feeler
gauge--though I'm told a matchbook cover is about right--or, better yet,
a dwell meter to set the points gap (the gap changes as the points wear,
and don't forget to grease the cam). Compared to fiddling with the small
nuts and screws, and the complex 'stacking order' of points pieces it's
a piece of cake (though you do have a couple screws to mess with either
way; I always carry a flexible magnetic pick-up tool in my roadside kit).

*Side note: I wired my on-the-shift-lever O/D switch with spade
connectors, so I can get the knob off/on easily to replace rubber boots
that don't seem to last long (enough). Last time I had the knob off I
discovered one of the connectors had almost worked loose; it turns out
most of these connectors, which often come in a kit, are absolute junk
(made in you-know-where). I bought several kits until I found a brand
that resisted disconnection. Be aware.