[Healeys] Clutch bearing

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 09:31:51 MDT 2022

Pieter, I'm not sure that you are using the correct part names.
The throw out bearing is normally made of carbon, is mounted on the clutch
fork and operated by the clutch slave cylinder. It requires no lubrication.
I suspect that you may be referring to the pilot bush, which is an oil
impregnated bronze bush which is installed in the rear end of the
crankshaft and, within which, the forward end of the gearbox first motion
shaft rotates when the clutch is disengaged.
If it is the pilot bush which is failing prematurely the most likely cause
is misalignment between the engine and the gearbox.
Originally 2 special pilot bolts were installed to ensure that these
components were correctly aligned.