[Healeys] DW overdrive piston

gradea1 at charter.net gradea1 at charter.net
Wed Aug 3 13:36:18 MDT 2022

I assemble ODs using the original metal rings and have not had any
issues with pressure or engagement/disengagement.
When Mr. DeNormanville stayed up in the middle of the night to
engineer the operation of the unit, I think he decided that the use of
softer rings (sacrificial metal) against a hardened casing was the
best solution for control and wear. If a rubber o-ring was a better
solution, he would have used one with the proper buna rating.
I think the bigger problem, now-a-days, is the availability of the
metal piston rings. Rubber O rings are a dime-a-dozen. If you contact
Overdrive Spares in the UK, they should be able to supply the proper
rings. If they too, have decided to go with rubber, then plan on a
breakdown/rebuild in a shorter period of time than units equipped with
the original parts that last a long, long time. Hank