[Healeys] DW overdrive piston

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed Aug 3 07:01:13 MDT 2022

I put one in my BJ8's O/D. It's subjective*--O/Ds seem to work a little
quicker with cold, thick oil than hot oil--but it cuts maybe a third off
engagement time on average. I had the O/D on the bench and disassembled,
and the current one had a scored barrel so, why not? Engagement isn't
much, if any, harsher than before which, I believe is the reason DMH
wanted the weaker, smaller spring. If I'd known about it, I might have
bought AHSpares' with an O-ring instead.

* I've never really 'timed' O/D functioning, it would be a bit awkward;
anyone done it? I usually tap the clutch pedal when engaging O/D, and
give a little throttle when disengaging. I thought mine engaged a little
quicker when I switched to synthetic fluid from engine oil, but in all
cases confirmation bias may be involved.