[Healeys] Overdrive pressure not releasing.

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 10:31:44 MDT 2022

Simon,
Based upon your synopsis I conclude that the operating valve is NOT opening
when either the solenoid lever or the setting lever is being moved to the
position where the operating valve ball would normally be lifted off its
seat.
This conclusion is based upon your discovery that the pressure in the
accumulator, as indicated on the gauge, does not leak away overnight.
There is a small clearance between the operating valve push rod and the
overdrive housing. If the operating valve ball was indeed lifted off its
seat all the oil in the accumulator would, over time, leak past the
operating rod thus discharge the accumulator.
This process would indeed take some time but would certainly completely
relieve most, if not all the residual accumulator pressure overnight.
If however the operating valve ball is still in contact with its seat (i.e.
not being lifted) the oil pressure would not reach the small clearance
between the valve push rod and the housing and, other than past the
accumulator rings there is nowhere for that pressure to be relieved.
I would presume that Overdrive Spares installed an accumulator with an "O"
ring rather than the original cast iron rings. If the original type
accumulator piston was still fitted, oil would seep past the cast iron
rings to relieve the pressure, albeit very slowly, and again the
accumulator pressure would be discharged overnight..
The cam on the operating shaft, the one which lifts the operating valve
push rod and thus the operating valve ball, is locked to the shaft with a
small taper pin. I would guess that the taper pin has either fallen out or
sheared.
Bad news is that this pin cannot be accessed without removing and
disassembling the overdrive.