[Healeys] Lightened flywheels

richard mayor boyracer466 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 16:22:01 MDT 2021

I should add  one more thing for clarification.  The general rule of thumb
for comparing rotational weight to other weight (sprung or unsprung) is 10
to 1.  So, using that rule, 5 pounds of weight removed from rotational mass
would equal 50 pounds of fuel. As Michael pointed out.
But, it doesn't alway work out that way.  If you removed one pound from the
flywheel in the area where the bolt pattern is then the 10 to 1 rule may
apply.  But if you remove one pound of material out near the ring gear then
it is more like a factor of 30 to 1.  Any rotational weight removed further
away from its axis will have a much greater effect. And when you lighten a
Healey flywheel the place where the meat comes off first is out near the
ring gear.  Removing 3 or 4 pounds has a big effect on acceleration.