[Healeys] Head weight

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed Oct 27 09:27:29 MDT 2021

The late, great Norman Nock used to recommend a lacquer-like paste
called 'Wellseal,' esp. for the 4-cyl engines known for leaking between
the #2 and #3 cylinders (supposedly, not enough head studs in that
area). I've only put a few hundred miles on my BN2 since rebuild--with
Wellseal--but, so far, no sign of a leak.

I 'heard from the grapevine' that Payen off-shored manufacturing to
(guess where) and quality suffered. I had most of a Payen set I'd bought
decades ago for my BJ8 and didn't use for whatever reason. I used the
head gasket on my latest--and hopefully last--overhaul a few years ago;
6K miles and still good. If I needed to rebuild again I'd probably
spring for the composite-metal gasket from DWM; supposedly reusable for
up the 3 times.

Bob