[Healeys] Head weight

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 20:31:25 MDT 2021

Hi Fred -

I'd say having a couple moderatly strong people to lift it out is probably
enough, main thing is to slide it up on top of the studs, although I am
able to do it myself but the six cyl is a bear.

In terms of head gasket, there's a couple of approaches:

One is to use the old standard copper gasket and then spray both sides with
a thin layer of spray hylomar or permatex copper spray a gasket.

The other option is to get the composite gasket from SC parts, which is a
really nice unit, as long as your deck and head aren't too far out, the
composite gasket is superior and will save you from having to shave things
flat, which the copper gasket prefers and the steel gaskets need.
Personally I'm not a fan of surfacing the head or deck... so the composite
gaskets that SC parts sell is a really nice option.  they are
beautifully made.

https://www.scparts.co.uk/sc_en/british-cars/austin-healey/austin-healey-bn1-to-bj8-1953-1968/engine/cylinder-head-bn4-from-48863-bn6-bn7-bt7-bj7-and-bj8/cylinder-head-gasket-1328.html

Best,

Alan