[Healeys] Steering seal

Roger Grace roggrace at telus.net
Tue Oct 5 09:02:44 MDT 2021

Yes - this was one of my projects for last Winter.. Using the thick NLGI
-00 grease did not solve the leak for me.
It can be done insitu, but not for the faint hearted. As others have also
said, I had to grind the ears of a cheepo pitman puller to make it fit in
the limited space. Mark spline position. The worst part for me was getting
the old seals out without damaging the bore. Very little space between the
bore and the shaft. In the end, think that  I modified a long thin
screwdriver and broke it apart.
Seal is a Timken 340731. Trick is to use 2 when you replace.
Also try to get a tube of the correct diameter for tapping in the new
seals. I conveniently found an alloy bike seat tube fitted perfectly.
rg