[Healeys] Clutch plate

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Nov 6 21:55:39 MDT 2021

re: "Would this happen if the clutch disc was stuck to the flywheel?"

I think if it was just the clutch disk stuck to flywheel you'd still get
at least some movement of the pedal. Early cars used coil springs in the
cover plate to hold the disk firm to the flywheel, and later cars used
diaphragm 'springs.' I think with either you'd at least be able to move
the pedal until the springs reached their limit of travel (or you left
leg reached its limit of strength).

It's a long shot SWAG, but since the car has sat for a long time it's
conceivable the fluid in the line has gelled and/or crystallized to the
point it prevents flow to the slave cylinder (I have had BF gell up).
I'm not sure you can move the release bearing fork much by hand, though
I haven't tried; those are some strong springs in the cover plate.

Bob