[Healeys] Tech Session at Conclave re: timing

Michael Oritt michael.oritt at gmail.com
Wed May 26 17:57:40 MDT 2021

Richard--

One method of "Old School" tsetting timing (at idle) is to put a glass of
water on the valve cover and adjust the timing until the surface of the
water is smooth and free of ripples.  Aside from the fact that the valve
cover on Healeys is not flat I question what a smooth idle has to do with
WOT or high-end performance, but it does sound charming.  Another is to
retard until pinging occurs but I have heard and read that there is
something called "silent pinging".

When I set timing on my 100 I do it at high rpm's (2500 to 3000) with a
light and look for 34-35 degrees of advance.  Anything beyond that causes
my engine to overheat and sometimes I will take a degree or two off that if
engine temps suggest.

Best--Michael Oritt

I have heard (not seen) people

--