[Healeys] Vapor lock gas

fsufan1952 at yahoo.com fsufan1952 at yahoo.com
Thu May 6 09:13:07 MDT 2021

Hi All ,
    I have a 67 BJ-8 . And  when I did a frame off restoration I lived in Mass.  Well me and my Healey are now living in central Florida. And my mods are a set of headers from Dennis Welch along with his matching 2 inch exhaust system. I had the headers ceramic coated and I wrapped them with header insulation tape . I completely used fuel line insulation wrap from mid way on the car all the way up to the carbs . I installed a neat set of fuel bowl insulated coozies from Joe Coutu. Along with a new radiator from AH Spares and a electronic fan mounted to it . My next mod was a new intake manifold , also from AH Spares , there newly designed system with round 2 inch ports . I also had this ceramic coated . I still install the original Healey heat shield . I installed an electronic ignition system and a new SU electronic fuel pump .
     Well running around Florida it runs strong . But every time I come to a stop light , then pull away I always have vapor lock problems. Stopping at a stop light I get no air flow around the carbs . Looking back installing those fender rally vents I’m sure would help getting rid of some of the engine heat . None of these mods have stopped my vapor lock problems.  My next attempt at solving the fuel vapor problem is I just insalled a cooling fan from Chill Out , a company that specializes in race car cooling systems. It’s a 3 inch fan about the size of a beer can . I mounted it next to my brake reservoir with ducting on the intake side pulling in air from in front of the radiator, then duct work on the output side blowing onto the carbs .  Unfortunately I ran out of time to test it as I’m now back in Mass for 3 weeks.  When I get back to Florida I’m looking forward to 🤞 seeing if this helps . I can supply pictures of all the above mods if anyone is interested.
    Wish me Luck 👍🏻   Don

Sent from my iPhone