[Healeys] Dowel Bolts

Curtis Arndt cnaarndt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 22:51:10 MDT 2021

Dowel Bolts for my BN1...

[image: image.png]
>From my post on the AH Experience...

The engine to transmission bolts and nuts were originally Whitworth,
British Standard Fine to be specific. 5/16" W or 3/8"BSF (same size,
different measurement) X 1-1/4" to 1-5/16" shouldered bolts. There are Five
(5) of these bolts.

There are two bolts that hold the starter in place, but they are 1-5/8" in
length.

Two special "Dowel" Bolts as pictured used to help center the transmission
to the engine, and six (6) bolts, spring washers and nuts. From the
Concours Guidelines...

Dowel Bolts
The factory used two dowel bolts to align the engine and transmission
components.

• A dowel bolt has a more accurate diameter on its unthreaded portion,
resulting in a
more precise fit.
• Unlike a regular bolt, which is a little loose in the hole, a dowel bolt
fits with very
little side play.
Without the dowel bolts, the engine and transmission could be slightly
misaligned,
which can cause premature wear of gearbox bearings and pilot bushes, and
cause the
clutch to "hang up".

100

• The dowel bolts have two flats on an otherwise round head.
• The dowel bolts go into the "1:00" and "7:00" (positions top right and
bottom left).
There are two circular countersink/recess in the bell housing flange at
these two
positions which help the shorter bolt go in farther so that enough treads
are
exposed on the other side.
• The standard 100 bell housing bolts are 1 1/4" long and BSF threaded.
The dowel bolts are 1/8-inch shorter and its bolt head is round with two
flats

To be absolutely factory original, all Whitworth fasteners should have a
black phosphate, and not a zinc finish as pictured.

Cheers,

Curt