[Healeys] Brake Fluid - Observation and Serious Question

Charley Braum cbaustin at verizon.net
Wed Mar 17 21:25:28 MDT 2021

I changed over to Silicone Fluid many years ago whilst ignoring
the 'degraded performance' warnings (as in - it will fade/fail
in "spirited driving" situations) and my realised expectation of
dodging (increasingly expensive, then and now) repairs to painted
surfaces due to spilled fluid damage.

I cannot attribute any issue with my brakes since to the fluid change.

That said, I set up an experiment (years ago). I put enough Silicone
Fluid in a glass baby bottle to fill it to half-way. I put the bottle,
without
a cap (open to the air) on a shelf in my unheated garage.

After six months (and two season changes) I asked a business
acquaintance to analyze my test sample, especially with regards
to H2O content. His assessment was H2O was less than 1%.

With a closed hydraulic system (our Healeys), once the system is
charged and the bleeders are closed, the only interaction with
the atmosphere is through the reservoir cap vent, I think.

How does all this water get in the system?

Best to all,

Charley

--
https://www.avg.com