[Healeys] Fuses

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Mar 11 09:58:40 MST 2021

I'll bite: I think you'd need a 'slow blow' fuse, like on the OD for
instance. I usually buy batteries with the most CCA--cold cranking
power, more current is available at higher temps--I can find/fit; some
have 600A or more CCA (IIRC, the AGM in my BJ8 has over 700). An
inductive load, like a motor or solenoid, pulls almost all current
available for a split second, until inductance increases impedance. You
might very well blow this fuse every time you try to start your car.

There was an exhaustive discussion on this on the BCF; IIRC the
conclusion was a fairly complex breaker system would work best. The
simpler answer is to just make sure your cabling is in good nick; a lot
of damage can happen even before a fuse blows. To my knowledge, most/all
modern cars have no protection on starter systems either.

Bob