[Healeys] Lightened Flywheel

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Mar 11 08:49:12 MST 2021

Falls more into the category of 'disappointment.'

I've sometimes wished I had a lightened flywheel in my BJ8, but I think
the lower inertia/torque would be even more of an issue with its 3.54
rear end (yes, it takes a tad more finessing of the clutch pedal than
the 3.91). This is the classic argument of torque vs. horsepower (John
and Kees are both correct, there's inertia and torque, both give more
pulling power, which is what we're talking about off idle). In my BJ8, I
can let out the clutch slowly and it will creep away from a standing
stop, if I do that in my Mustang, with 475HP and 425lb-ft of torque
it'll stall every time; it doesn't start really pulling until over
3,000RPM (but will pull in a straight line to the rev limiter at 7,400).
Yes, the Mustang is heavier, by a little over 50%, but has more than
three times the HP of a stock BJ8). But, if you want torque, my dad's
old 4-banger Ford tractors would best them both in a tug-of-war.

I can't however, think of a reason why the OD would be affected; it's
either engaged or it isn't. If the cone clutch was slipping that would
certainly cause issues.

Bob