[Healeys] Lightened Flywheel

Bluehealey bluehealey at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 02:55:34 MST 2021

A lighter flywheel also effects torque reaction of the engine block. As the throttle is blipped the engine block reacts and whips sideways in the opposite direction to the crank. You all know this. With a lighter flywheel the engine reacts quicker (obvs).
My first Healey, a BJ8, had a hot cam (lumpy tickover) and a lightened flywheel. All good you might think.  Unfortunately the torque reaction was enough to crack and peel the engine mounts from the top of the chassis rails.  Now I understand why the works cars had reinforcement on between the mounts and the rails.

Alan - from my iPad