[Healeys] Oil Temp

Roger Grace roggrace at telus.net
Wed Mar 10 08:42:37 MST 2021

Gary - I have an OT gauge fitted to my BJ8. BTW use the same gauge to
measure top hose temp and engine compartments temps.
Oil in our cars takes a long time to get off the chill. Being old school
don't like exceeding 2000 RPM till OT is above 120F that can take 15- 20
mins. Very different to water temp warming time. Normal running is around
150 - 170 F all of course dependant on ambient and speed. Highest have ever
seen is 194F on  hot day (over 33C) after sustained highway driving and
then being stuck in traffic for a long time. I have an oil cooler too -
fitted by PO so can't confirm its thermostat opening temp but been told is
typically 180F.
rg