[Healeys] 100 water pumps

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Mar 6 09:42:26 MST 2021

I sold my late father's 1955 Thunderbird to my BFF. These cars have a
very similar problem to Healeys overheating, esp. at idle. When Ford
stuffed the 292ci Y-Block into the T-Bird, they found the engine was
(essentially) too short for the long-hooded car, so they 'engineered'--I
use the term loosely--a cast iron spacer to move the fan closer to the
radiator. The spacer had the added 'benefit' of severely limiting
coolant flow through the pump and radiator; there are some aftermarket
fixes and my friend, after doing the usual radiator re-core, better fan,
etc. installed both a better pump (larger vanes) and a re-engineered
spacer. Attached pic is not of the spacer he used--I can't find the link
to it--but it shows the general idea (Ford basically put a 'dam' in the
cooling system to block flow, and the improved spacers mostly remove
it). It appears this approach has improved cooling, though the engine
probably still gets warm if it has to sit too long at idle. Link is to
one of the improved pumps:

https://www.classictbird.com/Water-Pump-Modified-for-Higher-Output-1-Per-car/productinfo/8501HO/

Anyways, after doing all the usual stuff to increase cooling, esp. on my
BJ8, I've wondered if a similar approach would work on Healeys. Their
pumps have very small vanes, and the cavity in which the vanes operate
seems pretty small for such a large lump of cast iron (I'm guessing an
uprated radiator core won't help much if the coolant flow is still
hampered; at least, that's what I've found). This is probably not an
option as, of course, our engines don't have a similar spacer to be
improved upon, and it would be a major task to increase both the
cavity's size and the pump (but I can dream).

ps. The overheating issue with Healeys is usually attributed to too big
of an engine in too small of an engine compartment, and too little
airflow. But, the engine bay in an old T-Bird is huge by comparison--and
the engine not terribly larger in displacement--and still suffers the
same problem.

Bob