[Healeys] HD8 Su's

banjojohn banjojohn at cox.net
Mon Jun 21 21:31:21 MDT 2021

If you think about it, as long as the damper contacts the top of the oil column in the dashpot when it is screwed in, the oil will provide the resistance needed to enrich the mixture.  Any oil above the damper when it is screwed in, doesn't have any effect on anything, so as long as you feel resistence by the time you start to engage the threads, there is enough oil.John O'Brien'61 Bugeye (Lucy)'65 BJ8 (Madelyn)Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
-------- Original message --------From: Roger Grace via Healeys <healeys at autox.team.net> Date: 6/21/21  9:20 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut at gmail.com> Cc: healeys at autox.team.net Subject: Re: [Healeys] HD8 Su's Thank you, and to all for the numerous inputs and ideas.Have been driving my car quite a bit recently and realise that I may have been overfilling the dashpots and also far too often.I have previously always filled SU dampers so as to feel resistance about 1/2 in above the threads and then left them alone.On my BJ8 believe that I have been over zealous (or neurotic !) about the dashpots and topped up whenever I could not feel resistance at this 1/2 in level - not because of any carburation or performance issues.So, I suspect that when the oil appeared to be disappearing, it was really just spilling over and self regulating at the correct level. So for now keeping my hands off the oil can.Anyone know the correct dashpot fill level and technique to do this ?I have never seen any external evidence of oil coming out of the damper breather holes.Will report backrgOn Sun, Jun 20, 2021 at 8:27 PM Alan Seigrist via Healeys <healeys at autox.team.net> wrote:I believe most of the oil loss is caused by when the piston goes down, the damper catches some oil on the topside and holds it up, and it leaks around the top of the piston, and flows around the neck and into the bottom of the piston.  For my BJ8s, this area gets oily if I overfill too much oil.

Suggested annual donation  $12.75

Healeys at autox.team.net