[Healeys] 6 cylinder conrod nuts

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 11:42:58 MDT 2021

In my aircraft engine days installing a used nyloc nut was regarded as a
cardinal sin.
I have just used up the last of my OE 7/16" UNF nyloc big end nuts (AEC328)
and have received a box of new ones from my fastener supplier.
What is weird is that these grade 8 nuts are 5/8" AF whereas the originals
were 11/16" AF.
After making some enquiries it turns out that grade eight (and for that
matter grade five) 7/16" UNF nyloc nuts are only available as 5/8" AF !!
Regular 7/16" UNF nuts are 11/16" AF and 1/2" UNF nyloc and regular nuts
are both 3/4" AF.
It seems that this wrench size anomaly is unique to 7/16" nyloc nuts.
Does anyone out there have any idea what this is all about?