[Healeys] overdrive problem

gradea1 at charter.net gradea1 at charter.net
Sun Jun 13 17:49:49 MDT 2021

Hi healeymanjim -there a few statements you made that trouble me about
your overdrive.
1-why was there 90W oil in the trans? Was there an attempt to get more
pressure with heavier oil?
2- if you can manually engage overdrive with the lever on the
right-the overdrive is working and pressure has been built up enough
to switch from direct to OD (overcome spring pressure). However you
should probably measure the pressure with a gauge and insure that it
is over 400lbs.(photo)
3-the mainshaft should have nothing to do with engagement
4-if the solenoid is good, and if properly adjusted, it should shift
into OD if the switch on the dash is in OD. My guess is that the
adjustment is not by the book. Measure the solenoid and if it draws
about 8 Amps, it is defective.
5-you can follow the procedure in the workshop manual to remover the
accumulator, remembering that a huge spring is pushing on the solenoid
case and must be eased out. You should have the correct replacement
parts-piston rings or o-rings and any gaskets-and a proper puller
before you pull it apart, as just examining it and replacing it won't
give you an answer, unless you see major scoring or broken piston
rings.
6- I would never use 90W oil in that gearbox. It will foam and cause
problems in the overdrive and when cold adds additional problems with
gear engagement. Use the 30 ND (won't foam)
Take particular care in disassembly, as this is an involved mechanism,
and must be handled correctly to achieve successful operation.
Regards, Hank

Healeys"