[Healeys] speedo stuck at 78 MPH

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Jun 11 17:31:09 MDT 2021

Ira,

The speedo needle gets 'wound up' by the cable when moving, then a
spiral 'watch spring' should return the needle to zero as the cable
slows. I think you may have two problems, which may or may not be related:

1) The cable is driven by the angle drive, which is driven by a gear on
you O/D output shaft. It should not spin--at least, I don't /think /it
should--when you turn it at the speedo end, unless you've pulled it out
of the angle drive. Since it's not moving at speed, the angle drive is
probably TU.

2) There's a couple things I can think of offhand that could cause
'non-return-to-zero;' the spring is busted, or something else is jammed
in the speedo (the cable drives a magnet, which torques a metal plate to
turn the needle; not much to break).

The speedos can be disassembled--the hardest part is getting the guts
out with the odo zeroing knob in the way--and you could have a look. Or,
you could send it to one of the gauge shops (Nisonger, West Valley,
MoMa). I've attached the 'bible' on Smiths gauges in case you don't have it.

I don't think a tire change would make a 65-78MPH error, unless you've
changed to 13-inch wheels ;).

Bob