[Healeys] Rust Protection Fluids

simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com
Tue Jun 8 05:24:58 MDT 2021

Hi,

Not specifically a Healey query but we all know about rust..

So, I'm restoring an old pistol. (We'll get one thing straight first..I'm no
Wyatt Earp. This thing is a nice old .177 air pistol. A Webley & Scott Mk1.
My wife's father's. About a hundred years old. Still works well.)

Thus far, I've disassembled, removed the old bluing and any rust. I'll
reblue it per instructions from the net and from the bottle of blue. No
problems so far. Actually, the only issue is the difficulty in obtaining
parts.

I'm advised by the bluing manufacturer's blurb on the bottle to finish off
the whole process by "Saturating metal in Barricade Rust Protection". That
stuff seems to be WD40 in all but name with the property that, perhaps, it
leaves a more lasting film on the metal. But the manufacturer would tell one
to do that, wouldn't they?

Nanny has taken away most of our firearms in the UK, so a lot of this type
of stuff comes in from overseas. Typically the US. Anyone know anything
about this stuff or similar???? Years ago, when playing with Her Majesty's
firearms, we used to keep little bottles of Jenolite something or other, but
that seems to be unavailable now. Only their Rust Converter.

I'll probably just reblue it and wrap it up in an oily rag for another 20
years. (Just so long as my grandson doesn't find it).

Thanks,

Simon