[Healeys] Brake Fluid -- Silicone vs. glycol

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Jul 25 17:13:22 MDT 2021

I'd add that DoT5/Silicone BF should be flushed occasionally (like,
every 5-10 years). It doesn't absorb moisture, but supposedly water can
pool in low spots (you'll get some condesation in the reservoir every
time you check the level). I usually have to do something to my brake
systems that often anyway. I've noticed that DoT5, which is purple
coming out of the bottle, turns clear/amber near the wheels where, of
course, heat is generated.

bs

ps. I've followed several threads where owners are reporting
crystallization or gelling of Dot3/4, and no one has come up with a
definitive cause.