[Healeys] Which Brake Fluid?

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Jul 24 19:00:43 MDT 2021

FWIW, I've had DoT5 in my BJ8 for nearly 30 years with no issues,
including bleeding. My dad put Lockheed DoT4 in our BN2--a complete new
system--and it gelled when the car sat for a couple years. I tried
Petrosin--BMW's bespoke brand--and several seals failed, with a
crystalline residue, after just a few years. There was a thread on the
BCF a while back on owners having failures with DoT3/4. Tom Monaco
strongly recommends Castrol DoT4 'synthetic*' but, so far, I haven't
been able to get a good pedal with it (I'm not blaming the fluid). Note
DoT5 is not hygroscopic, but does need to be flushed occasionally since
any water will pool and settle in low points.

* Some brands of BF are now calling their product 'synthetic,' which is
odd since, AFAIK, no BF is made from naturally occurring compounds. I
suspect this is marketing, to ride on the popularity of synthetic motor oil.