[Healeys] Another backfiring question

warthodson at aol.com warthodson at aol.com
Fri Jan 29 17:32:51 MST 2021

One more possibility on this subject. It is possible that if Len's BJ7 has points ignition & the points are "floating" at this speed/RPM it might sound like backfiring thru the carbs?  Also, Len did not mention if this is occurring with the O.D. engaged or not. Also, Len did not state what octane grade of fuel he is using. One more comment: In my experience, the owner rarely mentions any non-original modifications/"improvements" they have made to the car. Such as: air cleaners, PCV systems, compression ratio, cam, jets, needles, springs, the list goes on & on. We need to know about anything that is not O.E. including the specifications.
I do not think it is related to today's fuel vs. the fuel available when the cars were tested by the factory. If that were the case then many more of us would be experiencing the same issue.
Gary Hodson