[Healeys] Another backfiring question

banjojohn banjojohn at cox.net
Fri Jan 29 12:31:59 MST 2021

One other rabbit hole to go down is, what about valve float?  At high rpms, if you have a weak intake valve spring, not closing the valve fully before ignition, it could pop back through the carb.Just another idea to muddy the waters.John O'Brien'61 bugeye (Lucy)'65 BJ8 (Madelyn)Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S10e.
-------- Original message --------From: Michael Salter <michaelsalter at gmail.com> Date: 1/29/21  11:10 AM  (GMT-06:00) To: healeys at autox.team.net Subject: Re: [Healeys] Another backfiring question It seems to me that most of the responses to this issue with "backfiring" through the carbs at higher throttle settings of engine speeds fail to address the question of carburettor needle profile.The needle profiles recommended for our cars were developed by dyno testing at Morris Engines. The fuels used for these tests would have been somewhat different from what we get today and this almost certainly has a significant effect on the needle requirements for engines running on SU carburettors.Data is a bit hard to find on the subject but what reading I have done indicates that there have been very significant changes in SG and oxygen content over the years.I would surmise that there is a very good chance that one of the results of these changes would be the necessity to use reprofiled needles to maintain consistent mixtures throughout all operating conditions.A pretty good idea of what mixtures the engine is ingesting can be acquired by installing an O2 sensor and gauge like this.  After taking readings with a needle height gauge through the problem areas the results obtained can then be used to select an improved profile needle from the huge selection that SU produced.People have been known to put needles in a drill press and use emery paper to decrease the diameter of SU needles to "adjust" mixtures through the affected areas of the range rather than buying dozens of sets of needles to experiment with then purchasing needles that duplicate the "modified" profile.Not a project for the faint of heart and to do it properly you need a dyno....MOn Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 11:18 AM Bob Spidell <bspidell at comcast.net> wrote:

    I dunno if it can cause high RPM backfiring (I think it could), but
    the airflow on all (2-3) carbs has to be the same--or, at least,
    very close--at all throttle positions. This has to be checked
    off-idle, obviously, but if it's good at, say, 2,500RPM it should be
    good at all speeds; if not, you have to disconnect the throttle
    connect shaft to set them. I suppose a crack Brit-car mechanic can
    test with the recommended 'hose-in-the-ear' technique--my ear hose
    is collecting dust somewhere--but I use a Uni-Syn.

    To paraphrase the TV commercial we've all (probably) seen a thousand
    times: "If you don't have a carburettor synchronizer, get one."

    Bob

    On 1/29/2021 6:13 AM, healeyguy--- via