[Healeys] Another backfiring question

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Jan 29 09:18:22 MST 2021

I dunno if it can cause high RPM backfiring (I think it could), but the
airflow on all (2-3) carbs has to be the same--or, at least, very
close--at all throttle positions. This has to be checked off-idle,
obviously, but if it's good at, say, 2,500RPM it should be good at all
speeds; if not, you have to disconnect the throttle connect shaft to set
them. I suppose a crack Brit-car mechanic can test with the recommended
'hose-in-the-ear' technique--my ear hose is collecting dust
somewhere--but I use a Uni-Syn.

To paraphrase the TV commercial we've all (probably) seen a thousand
times: "If you don't have a carburettor synchronizer, get one."

Bob