[Healeys] Another backfiring question

gradea1 at charter.net gradea1 at charter.net
Thu Jan 28 16:43:26 MST 2021

Sounds lean too me. I think lifting the piston with the pin is a bit
nebulous, as you cannot gauge the amount of lift. Using the SU tool
set you insert rods into the pistons and you can then accurately lift
each piston 1/32" which is the thickness of the rod. Another method is
Color Tune in which you can see the richness of the mixture...these
are much more accurate procedures than the lift the piston method.
There could be many other factors, as discussed, but if all runs well
at low rpms, then if properly adjusted, the car should perform
throughout the entire range.
I just had a similar issue with my BJ8 cutting out at about 2500 RPMs,
unloaded...turned out to be the white/black wire mounted to the master
shutoff switch being frayed! Small things make big issues. Hank