[Healeys] Clutch slave bleeding

George Vernau Sr gvernau at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 16:43:18 MST 2021

     Thanks to everyone who sent me ideas and suggestions.
     Since I decided to rebuild both the clutch slave and master it turned
out that removing and reinstalling the master cylinder was actually the
worst part. I didn't want to remove the carbs so there isn't much room but
it can be done. Contorting my 75 year old body in the footwell to
disconnect and attach the pushrod was also a real challenge. In the end I
just bled the slave initially by letting it hang from the hose, then
putting a bleed hose on the bleeder screw and holding it in position
without bolts for a few pumps, closing the bleeder screw while keeping it
in its approximate final position, and then wrestling the bolts and
actuator in place. It seemed much easier when I first did it about 30 years
ago. The real answer is to install a line with a remote bleeder but I
didn;t want to take the time- I just hope I won't be doing it again.
     One added note: the last time I did this maybe 11 years ago I changed
the system to DOT5 Silicone fluid and I'm really glad I did. Everything was
nice and clean and new with no corrosion after 11 years. However, DOT5 is
getting hard to find.
     Anyway it worked just fine and I had a nice test drive to celebrate,
it's 70 degrees here in Houston today. I've owned this car for 53 years and
it still makes me happy every time I drive it.
Thanks again for the help!
George Vernau
1967 BJ8