[Healeys] 100 Generator Witworth bolt

Bob Haskell rchaskell at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 18 13:25:37 MST 2021

Gary,

There are two BSW standards.  Originally, the head of a BSW bolt was one
size larger than the same diameter BSF bolt.  So for a 1/4" BSW bolt,
the distance across the flats can be either 0.525" or 0.445".  5/16" BSW
is either 0.600" (old standard) or 0.525" (new standard).  On some
wrenches you'll see both markings (1/4" BSW, 5/16" BSF).

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Whitworth

Cheers,

Bob Haskell
Austin Healey 3000 BN7/BT7 registrar