[Healeys] Seat slide packing piece

kags at shaw.ca kags at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 6 15:03:47 MST 2021

Simon / Mark:

When my BJ8 was restored, we made new seat rail packing strips –
intentionally slightly thicker in order to gain a bit more seat movement
clearance over the carpet allowing a thicker bit of insulation, which is
always desirable in a big Healey.  This is a very late BJ8 which had 1/4
inch strips from the factory, so I don’t think that there was a production
change.   I’m pretty sure that we wound up at 3/8 inches.

You should not have to plane down your wood strips.  I suggest that you
temporarily fit an easy to get to slide, with all hardware, and check that
the mounting stud threads are fully engaged on the t nut, or ‘near as
damnit’.

FWIW, we did not re-install the tar paper on this car, instead using a sound
deadening, heat insulation concoction of our own design that easily lifts
out of the car if the interior gets damp.  These pieces (4) consist of 2
layers of non ribbed armacord (hardura?) sewn together with a thin sheet of
lead sandwiched between and trimmed to fit tightly into the car.  The carpet
snap studs are simply fastened to these assemblies, rather than the steel
floor.  (front only, the rear 2 on each side were deemed to be unnecessary).

This system has worked very well for me.  I mention it to illustrate that
anything you do – other than as original - with carpet / insulation etc.
will affect seat to carpet clearance and possibly turn out to be bothersome.

Earl Kagna

Victoria BC

BJ8, BT7 tri-carb