[Healeys] BN2 Caster Angle

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Jan 4 15:00:40 MST 2021

Nope. For once, I'm NOT confused. I've acquired an interest in chassis
geometry WRT to handling characteristics (and can't spend ALL my time
correcting people on the interwebs ;).  I know Healey geometry is
usually fixed; but my BN2 has Kilmartin adjustable camber plates, and I
acquired a set of shock plate inserts for my BJ8. I believe I can remove
the ends of the shock plates, remove the captive nuts and lengthen and
widen the holes enough to allow a couple degrees of camber adjustment
and maybe a degree or two of caster adjustment. I bought a 4-wheel
alignment kit to do the measuring.

My BN2 is surprisingly hard to turn, and only got more so when I
installed a smaller diameter steering wheel. It has 2-2.5deg pos.
caster; I think lessening that a little might decrease steering effort
(which may be normal, but I've only driven this one BN2). If it makes
the car too 'squirrely' I can fiddle with it until I get the handling I
like.

Bob