[Healeys] Fuel sender leak

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Jan 1 10:58:16 MST 2021

FWIW, I occasionally--these days, previously often--filled my BJ8's tank
within a couple inches of the filler hole; esp. when I know I'm facing a
long stretch with no gas stations. For example, it's over 200 miles from
Caliente, NV to Tonopah, NV with a medium-sized mountain range in
between and no gas. I once shut off my engine and coasted for a few
miles on the downslope when I was running low into Tonopah; and once,
some Jeepers arrived at Rachel, NV--which at one time had some
regular--begging for gas and offering to 'pay anything' for a few
gallons. I'm not recommending the practice, but you do what you have to do.

If the smell is indeed coming through the sleeve, I believe green
threadlocker ('Locktite') is meant to be used post-installation of
fasteners, as it supposedly weeps into tiny gaps. I have no idea how
well it would hold up to today's pseudo-gasoline, though.