[Healeys] Timing Chain Tensioners

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Feb 22 14:22:21 MST 2021

Thanks for the good info, Mirek.

On the topic of tensioners, my '08 Mustang with 4.6L V8 used plastic
rail-type tensioners, that were tensioned by oil pressure. Ford calls
for their 5W-20 semi-syn oil in most (all?) of their big V8s, but some
owners decided they knew better than the Ford engineers and put 5W-30,
10W-30 and even thicker oil in their engines (Ford does spec a heavier
oil for track use, to be added before and drained after track use). As
it turns out, this caused some chain tensioners to break as the thicker
oils didn't pressurize the tensioners as quickly on startup, allowing
the tensioners to vibrate to destruction (an expensive fix, probably not
covered by warranty).

I can't find a definitive source--forums don't usually count--but I
think the 5.0L in my current Mustang has an ECU-controlled oil pressure
relief solenoid. OP in that car pops up to 100PSI on startup--assuming
the gauge is telling the truth--for a second, then drops to a more
'reasonable' value (actually pretty low for unstressed cruising). I
presume this is to assure that the top end, inc. the tensioners, get
pressurized quickly.

Bob