[Healeys] Multimeter Question

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Feb 12 10:17:39 MST 2021

re: "... What is going on here?  Why is the meter behaving this way?"

I'll take a SWAG (worth what you paid for it): Measuring DC current is
more difficult than measuring AC current, which is usually done with an
inductive pickup. Because DC doesn't create inductance--except
initially--it usually has to be measured inline; i.e. you have to break
the circuit and insert the leads between ends. I suspect the DVM passes
the current through a known-sized resistor, and measures voltage drop.
The DVMs I've seen/used can only measure a few milliamps, anything more
/could/ cause the meter to go bonkers, and just a few milliamps would
take more than a couple days to drain a fully-charged starting battery
(my Mustang has electrical stuff running even when 'off,' and I've gone
several weeks without a dead battery). Again, just a guess.

Bob